Sunday, April 20, 2008

Inaugural Natalee Brooklynn Dunn 5K

Well the first race of 2008 is in the books. It was nice that this race was practically in my backyard. And it was for a great cause as they were raising money for S.I.D.S. Here is a link to the website <Here is the Link>

At the end of 2007 I had a 5K PR of 26:38 in October. I was running a lot in 2007 and not so much in 2008. I think I am in better shape now but really not in great running shape. So going into the race I figured I would be happy around 28:00. And I asked Kim to throw out a time for me and she said 28:04 (thanks for the confidence in SUB 28:00 Honey).

As the title of the post states this was an Inaugural event. So I got to packet pickup race day early thinking they would not have there stuff together and I might be waiting a while. I was wrong they were really on top of things and had a ton of volunteers there early and ready to work. So I picked my stuff up and drove the whole mile back to my house. Had a full hour and a half before race start so drank some water and had a banana (had oatmeal when I woke by the way).

Saw a bunch of people there that I knew from around town, running on the bike path over the last two years. They got us lined up, sang the National Anthem, and we were off. This was a small race the 5K had about 220 runners and it was an easy start. Course was very flat and ran on much of the same path I have been running since I started running two years ago. Not much to say I had a good first mile, followed by a slower (but still OK) 2nd mile. Then I was a little tired as I have been doing all my training at Max HR of about 150. I know I was close to 170 at times during the race. The rest of the race was slower but still came in at 27:58 (Garmin). No chip for the race so Gun had me at 28:07. Not too bad for me for a first race and not too much running. I finished 103 out of 213 (I am sure some were walkers).

Here are the official results.

Last note I hope Jerry is OK (I will find out Monday) He finished 16th in the race with a time of 20:55 not to bad for a 57 year old. He was being tended to by paramedics right after he finished.


6 comments:

TNTcoach Ken said...

Wow, now we really have something to shoot for in 2008, great race. I hope your friend is okay. If I ran that fast the paramedic would have been tending me also!

Anonymous said...

Great 5K Dan!!

I think I dread 5K's the most...they hurt like heck!

J~Mom said...

Congrats super speedy one!!!!!! You did awesome!!!

IronTriTim said...

You drove 1 mile to and from a race? :-)
You beat your goal, nice going.

IronWaddler said...

Way to go - nice 5k.

Jeff said...

Wow, Dan, that's a great time, especially for the first time out for the year. Nice going.